Difference Between Diversion and Probation / Parole

What Is Diversion?

Diversion is designed for first-time offenders, and it helps keep the conviction off your record. The difference between diversion and probation is that probation is after conviction, and diversion is before conviction.

In other words, a judge finds you guilty, then he sentences you to probation, as opposed to diversion.

What Diversion Boils Down to

Diversion is an agreement between us and the prosecutor. It essentially says, "As long as you do everything you're supposed to on diversion, we will dismiss the case when you're done."

What's the Catch?

Does it sound too good to be true? There is a catch, and the catch is that you’re waving all rights to contest the case when you go on diversion.

First off, we are waiving our right to have a jury trial. We're also waiving your right to contest the case, in any way, shape, or form, meaning no motions to suppress, no motions to dismiss, no self-defense, and you have to submit a written confession.

The idea is that if you do everything you're supposed to during this period of time. The case is dismissed at the end. If you mess up while you're on diversion, we have agreed to use the police reports and your confession, and hand those over to the judge. The judge will find you guilty; hence, a slam dunk conviction against you, if you violate diversion.

Contact us by calling (913) 210-0844 today to set up an appointment with an attorney in Olathe from Rivera Law, LLC!

Working with Rivera Law

As a criminal defense attorney in Kansas, Vinnie Rivera is dedicated to telling your complete story to the court. With years of experience and top-level training, Vinnie has handled a wide range of cases, that. includes diversion. He knows how to navigate the legal system and will work tirelessly to ensure that your rights are protected. If you find yourself facing criminal charges, don't let the system just keep turning without someone to speak up for you. Contact Vinnie Rivera today to be your voice and tell your complete story to the court. Call (913) 210-0844 to set up an appointment.